The American Red Cross currently has a critical need for blood donors of all blood types – especially type O –to make an appointment now to give and help replenish the blood supply after the holiday weeks. Right now, the Red Cross has less than a three-day supply of type O blood. To help tackle the critical need, the Red Cross and NFL are working together to offer one lucky winner a trip to Super Bowl LIV in Miami.
During the weeks of Christmas and New Year’s, about 500 fewer blood drives were hosted by volunteer sponsor groups than required to meet patient needs. Many groups postpone blood drives during the winter holidays when travel and holiday activities may make it challenging for many donors to give. In fact, AAA estimated that a record 115.6 million Americans traveled during the holiday period of Dec. 21 through Jan. 1.
“Lifesaving medical treatments and emergencies never take a holiday,” said Paul Sullivan, senior vice president, Red Cross Biomedical Services. “Declines in donations can affect patient care. That’s why the Red Cross is encouraging eligible donors to make an appointment to give now and help those sidelined by illness and trauma.”
Donors are urged to make an appointment to give now using the Red Cross Blood Donor App, visiting RedCrossBlood.org, calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or enabling the Blood Donor Skill on any Alexa Echo device.
As a special thank-you, those who come to give blood Jan. 1-19, 2020, will automatically be entered for a chance to experience the Super Bowl live. The Red Cross and NFL have teamed up to offer one winner two tickets to Super Bowl LIV, entry to the official NFL Tailgate, tickets to Super Bowl Experience at the Miami Beach Convention Center, round-trip airfare to Miami, three-night hotel accommodations at The Alexander® – All Suite Oceanfront Resort (Jan. 31 to Feb. 3), and a $500 gift card for expenses.* Additional details are available at RedCrossBlood.org/SuperBowl.
“The Red Cross appreciates the NFL’s support during this crucial time of year when every donation – and every donor – matters. We hope this may inspire some to make regular blood donation one of their New Year’s resolutions,” said Sullivan.
Upcoming blood donation opportunities:
- 1/16/2020: 12 p.m. – 6 p.m., Community Center, 100 W. McPherson
- 1/18/2020: 7:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., Sunflower School, 2192 Eisenhower
- 1/22/2020: 8 a.m. – 2 p.m., Bethany Home, 321 N. Chestnut
- 1/27/2020: 8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m., Smoky Valley High School, 1 Viking Blvd.
- 1/27/2020: 12 p.m. – 6 p.m., Trinity United Methodist Church, 224 S. Main
- 1/9/2020: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., Prairieland Partners John Deere, 2401 E. Northview
- 1/10/2020: 11:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., McPherson YMCA, 220 N. Walnut
- 1/16/2020: 8 a.m. – 3 p.m., City of McPherson, 400, E. Kansas Ave
- 1/20/2020: 12 p.m. – 6 p.m., St Joseph Catholic Church, 520 E. Northview
- 1/21/2020: 8 a.m. – 1 p.m., St Joseph Catholic Church, 520 E. Northview
- 1/28/2020: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., Central Christian College, 1200 S. Maple
- 1/29/2020: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., Grace Crossing Church, 111 Cole Street